How SkillBuilder® LMS Makes Your Set Up a Snap
Whether you are shopping for your first LMS or you are looking to replace your current application, choosing the right one is not in itself an assurance of success. There are many factors that you need to consider, however, this blog post is dedicated to ensuring your set up process goes as smoothly as possible.
Any set up requires that you develop a plan that considers who should be involved, and how:
- The LMS is configured
- Learning items and learning paths are set up
- Learning is assigned to users
- The catalog is configured if you want to sell courses
- The new application integrates with existing systems
- Data is migrated
- The LMS will be tested before going live
Check out our Easy Guide to Successful LMS Implementation eBook for more information on these considerations, and read on to learn more about how the SkillBuilder® team of Implementation Specialists can help configure the application, as well as some things you should consider before you begin setting up the application.
SkillBuilder® LMS Implementation Approach
Have you ever wondered how LMS vendors help you set up their product? Take SkillBuilder^®^ LMS for example. When you begin your implementation, we begin a multi-step process that includes:
1. Complete Capability and Functionality Review
The SkillBuilder® LMS team will facilitate a design session with stakeholders from your organization to review and determine operational and functionality requirements. If you are unsure of the people you need in the room, our team can help you make this decision. During the capability and functionality review session, our team members:
- Introduce all stakeholders to the implementation process and identify key responsibilities
- Demonstrate SkillBuilder^®^ LMS and all its features and functionality options (if necessary)
- Describe and review technical and security requirements
- Describe and review customization components
- Describe and review existing and planned learning resources, and provide suggestions on how they can be set up within the LMS
- Provide an opportunity for issue resolution
- Ensure alignment with LMS requirements for timing and delivery
2. Complete Configuration
SkillBuilder's extensive administrative functionality means that you have all the power to set up the application however you want, completely independently, if you so choose. However, the SkillBuilder® LMS team can help you:
- Upload your logo, select theme colours, and upload and optimize signature details
- Configure language and time zone
- Add people or accounts to the system
- Set up learning and evaluation items
- Develop custom pages
- Enable self-registration and select registration requirements
- Enable storefront and configure eCommerce payment processor
- Enable and configure gamification and Open Badges settings
- Customize notifications
SkillBuilder® is a role-based application. This means that users have access to different functionality based on the role assigned to them. The various admin roles such as Site Admin, Group Admin, Learning Item Admin, Facilitator, Instructor, etc. allow users to configure the site, create and manage learning items, and assign learning depending on the role assigned. Most of your users will have the learner role, which allows them to log into the application, complete assigned learning, and earn their certificate and/or Open Badge.
3. Set Up Learning Items and Learning Paths
To provide multiple ways for learners to acquire knowledge and skills, we have identified and developed a collection of Learning, Evaluation and Recognition Items within SkillBuilder^®^ LMS.
Learning Items include: online lessons, downloadable files, URLs, seminars, webinars and learning journals. Evaluation Items include: scored assignments, online exams, off-line practical evaluations and external qualifications. These Learning and Evaluation Items, along with Recognition Items (certificates and Open Badges) are organized into Learning Paths. Learning Paths are then assigned to learners by an Administrator, or configured for storefront.
The SkillBuilder® LMS team will work with you to review your learning resources, configure Learning Items and Evaluations, structure appropriate Learning Paths with specified certification requirements and prerequisites, and configure Learning Paths for your catalog. We're not just talking about eLearning here, rather, SkillBuilder® allows you to leverage all types of learning resources. You don't need an online module to get started. Some of our most successful customers have set up SkillBuilder® and included pdf manuals and PowerPoint presentations as learning items.
4. Assign Learning to Users
Once you have created Learning Items and Learning Paths, the next step is to assign these to your learners. Before you get to this step, our SkillBuilder® LMS Implementation Specialists will help you set up groups and add accounts into the application. Without doing this, you won't be able to assign learning. In SkillBuilder®, learning can be assigned individually to learners or it can be assigned to a group of learners at the same time.
If you plan on selling your learning program, our Implementation Specialists will also help you turn on Storefront and set up your catalog.
5. Complete SkillBuilder® LMS Administrator Training
This is one of the most important steps in the implementation process. This training is comprised of an initial 6 to 12 hour training session and 2 to 4 hour follow-up training sessions as required. In these sessions, our Training Specialists will ensure you understand how SkillBuilder® LMS works and that you can independently administer the application.
6. Complete Integrations and Data Migrations
SkillBuilder® LMS can be integrated with other commercial grade applications, such as human resource information systems (HRIS) or association management systems (AMS). Implementation Specialists work with your designated technical representatives and business stakeholders to plan and develop the necessary APIs (application programming interface) and help with data migrations.
7. Complete Pilot Project
The SkillBuilder® LMS team will help you develop a pilot project in conjunction with your stakeholders and/or test group. Activities involved include:
- a. Selecting participants
- b. Conducting limited-time pilot
- c. Collecting feedback and making adjustments as required
Once feedback has been received and implemented, the next step is to 'Go Live'. Note that to coordinate and manage your implementation, a dedicated Implementation Specialist will be assigned to you. This individual will oversee all aspects of the project, and will act as a single point of contact for the duration of the implementation.
The SkillBuilder® LMS team has helped many customers set up their LMS, and they've learned some lessons along the way. Here are some reasons you may want to work with us:
- SkillBuilder® LMS was ranked among the most user-friendly LMS software products by Capterra. SkillBuilder® is easy to set up from an administrator's perspective, and it's easy for users to access their learning. This means that you don't need to "train" your users to use SkillBuilder®.
- SkillBuilder® comes with an extensive online help system that you can access depending on your role in the application. For example, a site administrator has access to every help article available, but a user will only have access to the articles related to their account, such as how to change passwords or access an exam.
- Best-in-class personal support is only a phone call away. Our Implementation Specialists are available to assist you with any questions you might have.
- SkillBuilder® LMS has flexible licensing options, meaning you can start small and add users to your subscription as needed. Billing is based on the number of users that are in the system, not by functionality, which means that everything offered in the application is available for you to use at no additional cost.
Are You Ready to Get Started?
Our Implementation Specialists will work with you to understand the business requirements of your training program. They will explain all of the configuration options available and make recommendations. You may want to consider the following:
- Who is your audience? Will you be delivering training to the public, or internally to your employees?
- Will you be selling your training? Do you need a course catalog to allow people to select which course(s) they enroll in? Think about what kind of information you want to collect when people purchase a course and register in the system.
- How will you to assign training/learning? Will assignments be based on job title or some other criteria?
- Do you have an existing database of people that you would like to leverage via an application programming interface or single sign-on?
- How will you recognize learners' accomplishments? Think about whether you want to offer certificates or Open Badges.
- Do you want to send purchase or course completion data back to another system, such as an ERP, HRIS or AMS?
- Will you need to configure additional webpages, such as a Home or FAQ page?
The success or failure of the LMS you choose ultimately rests, in large part, on how well it is set up. Our SkillBuilder® team of Implementation Specialists is passionate about customer satisfaction, and our number one priority is making sure you are happy with your LMS decision. To find out more about we offer, and what we can do for you, consider:
Remember, we offer implementation consulting to get you started so feel free to contact us!
Easy Guide to Successful LMS Implementation
Learn how to create a roadmap for success before you begin your implementation!
Jill is an Instructional Designer at BaseCorp Learning Systems with more than 10 years of experience researching, writing and designing effective learning materials. She is fascinated by the English language and enjoys the challenge of adapting her work for different audiences. After work, Jill continues to leverage her professional experience as she works toward the development of a training program for her cats. So far, success has not been apparent.